MAN CITY’S MENDY ACCUSED OF BEING “A PREDATOR” BY PROSECUTION IN FIRST SEXUAL ASSAULT TRIAL
Prosecutors described Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy as a “predator” who “engineered situations” where he could rape and assault women with his friend and “fixer” Louis Saha Matturie as the trial of the French player accused of eight counts of rape got underway on Monday.
Mendy has also been accused of one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault. He is alleged to have committed the offences against seven young women between October 2018 and August last year.
He denies the charges.
In his opening statement before the jury at Chester Crown Court in northwest England, the prosecution’s lawyer, Timothy Cray, stated: “The prosecution case is simple. It has little to do with football. Instead, we say, it is another chapter in a very old story — men who rape and sexually assault women, because they think they are powerful, and because they think they can get away with it.”
Mendy is standing trial with Louis Saha Matturie, who denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault relating to eight young women.
The alleged offences occurred between July 2012 and August 2021.
Cray said Saha was Mendy’s friend and fixer, and one of his jobs was “to find young women and to create the situations where those young women could be raped and sexually assaulted.”
Cray told the court: “The acts that the defendants did together show callous indifference to the women they went after. In their minds, and this could not be clearer, the stream of women they brought to their homes existed purely to be pursued for sex.”
Cray told jurors they will hear from 13 women.
“Our case is that the defendants’ pursuit of these 13 women turned them into predators, who were prepared to commit serious sexual offences,” Cray said.
He said “the fact they would not take no for an answer” would be something the jurors will “hear time and time again.”
Mendy has played for City since 2017 after joining from Monaco. He was suspended by the club after being charged by police in August 2021.
Both defendants are released on bail, and the trial is expected to last up to 15 weeks.