Cristiano Ronaldo has mutually agreed to quit Manchester United with immediate effect following his explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
United issued a statement on Tuesday evening announcing that they and Ronaldo had come to a mutual decision to end his contract.
In a two-part TalkTV interview that aired last week on Wednesday and Thursday, Ronaldo, 37, criticised the team and manager Erik ten Hag, whom he claims he has “no respect” for.
The Portugal attacker also stated he was being pressured out of Old Trafford by United hierarchy members, who he claimed did not believe him when he said his daughter was hospitalised and which prevented him from attending preseason.
United said they would consider their response to Ronaldo’s comments “after the full facts have been established” and have now decided to part ways with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
A club statement read: “Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect.
“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”
Ronaldo returned to United for a second stint last year, but has struggled under new manager Erik ten Hag this year.
The 37-year-old released a statement of his own that reads: “Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.
“I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.
“I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”