
(VIDEO) ARGENTINA SUSPENDS ALL FOOTBALL GAMES AFTER ASSASINATION ATTEMPT ON COUNTRY’S VICE PRESIDENT
All football matches in Argentina were suspended on Friday after an assassination attempt on the country’s vice president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
The Argentinian Football Association (AFA) made the announcement on Thursday night after the attack, which took place in Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina.
According to reports, Fernandez de Kirchner was arriving at her home in the Recoleta neighbourhood when a man emerged from a crowd and pointed a gun at her head from close range.
The pistol, which had five bullets in it, was pulled back, but it did not fire properly. A man in his 35s has been apprehended.
Argentina President, Alberto Fernandez declared Friday, Sept. 2, a national holiday, and the AFA announced that all scheduled football events had been postponed.
“The Argentinian Football Association expresses its strongest repudiation of what happened with vice president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner,” the AFA said in a statement. “We call on society as a whole, warning that violence of any kind is never the solution.”
Watch the clip of the assasination attempt below:
More Stories
HEALTH: SIERRA LEONE STARTS MPOX VACCINATION AS CASES RISE
Sierra Leone on Wednesday started injecting frontline health care workers and high risk-individuals and children from age 12 with a...
NATASHA SLAMS YAHAYA BELLO, URGES HIM TO FOCUS ON CLEARING HIS NAME
Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has urged former governor Yahaya Bello to focus on addressing the corruption allegations against...
TRUMP SLAPS HEAVY TARIFFS ON CHINA, EU, OTHERS
Agency Report US President Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a raft of punishing tariffs targeting countries around the world, including...
UPDATE: POLICE UNCOVER CRIMINAL HIDEOUT AT SAGAMU INTERCHANGE, BEEF UP SECURITY
The Ogun State Police Command on Wednesday said it has beefed up security around the Sagamu interchange, on the Lagos-Ibadan...
FORMER NYSC DG, TSIGA, REGAINS FREEDOM FROM KIDNAPPERS DEN AFTER 2 MONTHS
The former Director General (DG) of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig,-Gen Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained freedom from...
JUST IN: FG ORDERS IMMEDIATE REOPENING OF INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN LAGOS
The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular...