MUTFWANG DENOUNCES ATTACK ON PLATEAU COMMUNITY

Read Time:2 Minute, 36 Second

Agency Report

Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu Local Government Area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.

Mutfwang spoke on Thursday during a condolence visit to the community in Kombum District, where the attack reportedly claimed 24 lives.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the community was attacked on the night of Monday, Aug. 18, with women and children reportedly among those killed.

The governor expressed deep pain over the incident and acknowledged the government’s responsibility to protect residents from attacks.

READ MORE…

ISBAE U REVEALS CRUSH ON BOLAJI OGUNMOLA, ADESUA ETOMI

The governor said, “I condole with you all today and plead with you to take courage in the Lord.

“As a government, we take responsibility for failing to protect you. We plead that you please take heart.”

Mutfwang described the killings as “a barbaric, senseless and evil display on innocent lives”, saying the attack also targeted his administration.

“It was not only an attack against your community but also an attack on me,” he said.

He described the incident as an affront to his person and the government’s collective resolve to protect lives and property.

Mutfwang assured residents that his administration would strengthen existing security measures to prevent further attacks on vulnerable communities.

“This government would not relent in its determination to secure the state and create an environment conducive to the prosperity and well-being of its people,” he said.

He also assured residents that perpetrators of the attacks would not take over their ancestral lands.

“We will do everything within our powers to ensure that you remain on your land. Nobody will take over your land,” Mutfwang said.

The governor said police had arrested some suspects, promising that the government would follow the matter to its logical conclusion.

Earlier, Mutfwang visited the palace of traditional ruler, Mishkagham Mwaghavul, Da. Putmang Hirse, accompanied by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement, Mrs Abiodun Esiet.

He assured the traditional institution and residents of President Bola Tinubu’s support, promising that the government would intensify efforts to end insurgency in Plateau.

Esiet, who was visiting the state on condolence, had earlier attended a retreat organised by the Plateau Initiative for Development and Advancement of the Natives.

She urged stakeholders to continue embracing peace, describing it as essential to the development of Plateau and Nigeria.

Responding, Hirse appreciated Mutfwang and his delegation for identifying with the Mwaghavul people during the difficult period.

He described the attack as senseless and deliberate, saying the perpetrators appeared determined to inflict pain and destabilise the peaceful community.

“This is something we least expected; people were asleep when they were massacred,” Hirse said.

He said Mangu remained one of the most peaceful local government areas, where residents lived peacefully with neighbours and accommodated visitors.

“Yet, we were attacked,” he said, while assuring that the Mwaghavul people would remain resilient, peaceful and law-abiding.

“No amount of intimidation would force us to abandon our ancestral land or undermine our resolve to live peacefully in our communities,” he said.

NAN

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %