‘I’m completely heartbroken’: Tears of father-of-four’s partner after he was ‘battered to death with a cricket bat having confronted group of teenagers when his children’s bikes were stolen’
#MTNshortz3sixtyworld
‘I’m completely heartbroken’: Tears of father-of-four’s partner after he was ‘battered to death with a cricket bat having confronted group of teenagers when his children’s bikes were stolen’
The girlfriend of a man who died after he was alleged stamped on and hit with a cricket bat as he tried to get back this children’s stolen bikes says she is ‘completely heartbroken’.
Father-of-four Derek Whyteside, 42, was attacked in the street less than mile from his home in Telford, Shropshire at 4.30pm on Monday afternoon.
He was rushed to hospital with a fractured skull and placed in an induced coma but died hours later of horrific head injuries.
Speaking at her home today, his devastated partner Michelle said: ‘I just can’t talk about it. I only lost him the other day, I’m completely heartbroken.’



Michelle, 37, previously claimed Mr Whyteside was hit around the head with cricket bat and stamped on before being left unconscious.
Writing on social media, she said: ‘Sum one thought it wud b ok to wrap a cricket bat round his head. While he’s dying on the floor. He’s been jumped on and punched in the face.’
She told friends ‘her world came crashing down around her’ when she was told he had died.
She wrote online: ‘Lost my love my world at 3.20 this morning. U are my everything no one cud eva replace wot we have. Fly high. Sleep tight Derek Whyteside.’
In a tribute, she added: ‘He had a heart of gold, he did everything for me and my children.’
On the day her partner died, Michelle had posted an appeal online saying the family’s mountain bikes had been stolen from their home.
It is thought Mr Whyteside had gone looking for the bikes before he was found lying unconscious in a pool of blood a mile away in Withywood Drive.
A neighbour said: ‘Derek was a wonderful dad, completely devoted to his family. It’s absolutely horrifying to think he was killed. No one deserves to be left to die in the street.
‘Michelle and the kids are in absolute bits. It’s an absolute nightmare and everyone round here is appalled and very angry about what has happened.’


Another resident said she was worried about youths in the area.
She said: ‘There is very little parental discipline and the police are already run ragged.’
The local community is now raising money to support the family and help pay for Mr Whyteside’s funeral.
In a tribute to Derek, his family said in a statement: ‘He was a nice guy, he was loveable and could always see the best in people and if he considered you a friend he would strive never to let you down.
‘He would always be there for you and was very proud of his extended family.
‘He was a fab dad to his partner’s children, very protective, cheeky and loving and always meant well. He was Michelle’s world and was so good to her.
‘He was a great brother too. We can’t understand why anyone would do this.’

Local police officer Superintendent Tom Harding said: ‘Incidents of this nature have a significant impact on our local communities and I will ensure we have officers in the local area over the coming days to offer reassurance to local residents. Anyone who is concerned can speak to an officer on patrol or to call us.
‘We are working tirelessly to help make our communities even safer and we will continue to work with our partner agencies to ensure we do this.
‘I would like to reinforce my commitment to making sure we tackle violent crime and that our local communities can go about their daily lives without fear of crime.’
Six people were arrested in connection with the attack. A woman and two teenage boys have been released on bail.
A 16-year-old boy was charged with murder and appeared at Kidderminster Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday. He was remanded in custody and will appear at Stafford Crown Court at a future date.
More Stories
WORK TO BEGIN ON INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN THREE WEEKS – UMAHI REVEALS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, says that permanent work on the Independence Bridge will commence in three weeks. Briefing...
MWAPA HOLDS FIRST MANAGEMENT MEETING WITH NEW PERMANENT SECRETARY, MRS. RIANAT ‘JIBIKE ONIGBANJO
The Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (MWAPA) held its first management meeting with the newly appointed Permanent Secretary,...
NEWS: SCAVENGER DIES, THREE HOSPITALISED AS MILITARY GRENADE EXPLODES IN LAGOS
A military-grade grenade detonated near Idi-Araba in the Mushin neighborhood of Lagos State, killing one unidentified scavenger. Three additional people...
COURT ARRAIGNS THREE NATIVE DOCTORS FOR ALLEGED RITUAL CRIMES IN ANAMBRA
Three native doctors—Chidozie Nwangwu, also known as "Akwa Okuko Tiwara Aki," Eke Hit, and Onye Eze—have been charged by the...
UPDATE: DEATH TOLL IN PLATEAU ATTACK RISES TO 52
According to local authorities, 52 people have died as a result of the recent attacks in Plateau State's Bokkos Local...
WORLD NEWS: US TARIFFS A ‘SIGNIFICANT RISK’ TO GLOBAL ECONOMY – IMF CHIEF
Agency Report New US tariffs "clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook," said IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva on...