ANSARU TRIAL POSTPONED AFTER DSS DENIES DEFENSE COUNSEL ACCESS

By: Fasasi Hammad
The trial of two alleged senior members of Ansaru, a terrorist group linked to al-Qaeda, was stalled on Thursday at the Federal High Court in Abuja after the defence lawyer reported being denied access to his clients in detention.
The proceedings were halted when defence counsel Bala Dakum informed Justice Emeka Nwite that the Department of State Security (DSS) had refused him access to the defendants, Mahmud Usman and Abubakar Abba.
The suspects, arrested by Nigerian security forces in August 2025, are facing 32 terrorism-related charges, including allegations of illegal mining and violent attacks committed between 2013 and 2015. They were arraigned in September 2025. At that time, Usman pleaded guilty to one count and was sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment, while Abba pleaded not guilty to all charges.
On Thursday, Mr. Dakum told the court that he had not met the defendants since assuming the case in October 2025. He noted that he had only reviewed the charges and requested that the court order their transfer to a correctional facility to allow proper access.
“If they want us to proceed, I must have access to them, or they should be transferred to a prison facility,” Dakum stated.
The prosecution, represented by David Kaswe, said he was prepared to call the first witness but explained that access to detainees at DSS headquarters was restricted due to ongoing renovations aimed at meeting global standards. Kaswe apologised to the court and requested an adjournment.
Justice Nwite expressed frustration over the delay, noting that the case had been scheduled for trial and that he had set aside other commitments to preside over it. “It feels like all my efforts are going nowhere. I should be resting by now, but I remained in court during the Christmas and New Year period,” he said.
A DSS officer informed the court that the facility upgrade might be completed by March or April but could not provide a specific date. Kaswe later added that the prosecution would consent to transferring the defendants to a correctional centre if access remained denied before the next hearing.
Mr. Dakum emphasized the importance of allowing the defendants to meet with their lawyer and family, noting that Usman has 19 children.
The court adjourned the case until March 16 for the commencement of the trial.
