FG GOES TOUGH ON INFRASTRUCTURE VANDALS AS POLICE ARREST SUSPECTS OVER LAGOS-CALABAR HIGHWAY VANDALISM
By ‘Sefiu Ajape

-
1,800 Manhole Covers Stolen From Coastal Highway
-
1km Of Clear-View Fence Vandalised, Removed
-
75 Directional Signs Cut Down By Vandals
The Federal Government has stepped up its crackdown on vandals targeting the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, following the arrest of suspects linked to the repeated destruction and theft of critical infrastructure on the newly constructed road.
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Engr. Olufemi Dare, disclosed this on Thursday during a joint press briefing with the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Tijani Fatai, at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja, Lagos.
Dare, who represented the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, said the scale of vandalism recorded on the Coastal Road since January had become a major concern to the Federal Government.
He disclosed that 1,800 manhole covers installed along the road had been stolen, with vandals allegedly breaking the concrete covers to remove the iron reinforcements inside.
“Between January and now, we have 1,800 of these manholes that have been stolen,” Dare said.
He also revealed that about 1,000 metres, equivalent to one kilometre, of the clear-view fencing installed along the highway had been vandalised and removed.
“Between January and now, 1,000 metres, which is one kilometre, of this clear-view fence have been vandalised, have been taken away,” he said.
According to him, about 75 directional signs installed along the highway to guide motorists had also been cut down and removed.
Dare said the Federal Government would not allow criminal elements to undermine the multi-trillion-naira infrastructure project, stressing that the Police, Ministry of Works and the recently launched Coastal Guard were working together to secure the road.
“While the Federal Government is doing everything possible to increase the infrastructure that we have in the country, these criminal elements, they are saying it will not be possible. But we have declared war with them,” he said.
The Federal Controller also declared that the Coastal Road would not be allowed to become a haven for criminals.
“Coastal Road is not a safe haven for criminals,” Dare said.
He disclosed that about 12 suspects arrested over various offences on the Coastal Road were presented at the briefing, including nine suspects allegedly involved in vandalism and three others arrested for allegedly creating illegal U-turns and collecting money from motorists.
Dare called for the prosecution of the suspects, urging the Police to ensure that those found culpable faced the full weight of the law.
He also warned against other activities prohibited on the Coastal Road, including the parking of trailers, use of tricycles and bicycles, illegal U-turns, animal rearing and leaving broken-down vehicles on the highway.
“Coastal Road is not a trailer park. It is a superhighway,” he said.
He urged motorists whose vehicles break down on the road to contact the Police or relevant road safety personnel for assistance, warning that abandoned vehicles would be towed away.
Dare commended the Lagos State Police Command for deploying personnel and vehicles to support security operations along the road, as well as the Coastal Guard for assisting in identifying and reporting criminal activities.
He said the Federal Ministry of Works would continue to collaborate with the Police and other relevant agencies to protect the highway and ensure that the ongoing project was not undermined by criminal activities.
Earlier in his briefing, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Tijani Olayiwola Fatai, said 10 suspects had been arrested on August 17 in connection with the repeated vandalism of the newly constructed Coastal Road infrastructure.
Fatai said the arrests followed intelligence gathered during follow-up investigations into the vandalism of the road.
He said vandalised iron materials were recovered during the operation, while preliminary investigations indicated that the suspects were linked to the “incessant vandalism of the Coastal Road infrastructure.”
“The suspects have also made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offence,” the Commissioner said.
He added that the Command was working closely with relevant authorities to ensure that those responsible for the continued destruction and theft of public infrastructure were brought to justice.
The Police Commissioner said the recent vandalism of the Coastal Road and the Third Mainland Bridge was particularly concerning because such activities not only cause significant financial losses but also threaten major government projects designed to improve transportation, connectivity and economic activities.
“The Command will not allow criminals to undermine these developmental efforts,” Fatai said.
The Command assured that all suspects would be subjected to diligent investigation and that those found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
See video below:
