IPOB SIT-AT-HOME ORDER LEAVES ROADS DESERTED IN ANAMBRA, ONITSHA MARKET RESUMES BUSINESS

Read Time:1 Minute, 12 Second

Although commercial activities resumed at the Onitsha Main Market on Monday following a one-week government-mandated closure, the Indigenous People of Biafra’s (IPOB) Monday sit-at-home order left major roads across Anambra State deserted. Banks, schools, motor parks, and filling stations remained closed as residents largely stayed indoors.

Traders returned to the Onitsha Main Market after Governor Chukwuma Soludo had ordered its closure last week, citing non-compliance with the state government’s directive to ignore the IPOB sit-at-home order, which has been in effect on Mondays since August 2021.

Despite the market reopening, key roads including Onitsha-Owerri Road, Upper Iweka, Onitsha-Awka-Enugu Road, and Onitsha-Oba-Nnewi Road remained largely empty. Roads leading to the Ochanja Market were also quiet, with residents gathering in small groups rather than engaging in normal commercial activity.

IPOB spokesman Emma Powerful praised the residents for complying with the sit-at-home directive. In a statement, he said the response “demonstrates the deep love, loyalty, and resolve of the Biafran people toward Mazi Nnamdi Kanu,” adding that the peaceful compliance sends a clear message against intimidation and coercion.

Powerful stated that IPOB remains committed to “order, discipline, and respect for institutions” while resisting attempts to “intimidate, humiliate, or enslave” the people. He also reaffirmed the group’s stance regarding the continued detention of its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, which IPOB says reinforces the legitimacy of their resistance.

 

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %