SOKOTO POLICE NEUTRALISE TWO SUSPECTED BANDITS, RECOVER 17 STOLEN MOTORCYCLES

Read Time:3 Minute, 36 Second

By Aishat Momoh. O.

The Sokoto State Police Command has intensified its operations against banditry, kidnapping and motorcycle theft, recording a series of breakthroughs across the state.

The command said two suspected bandits were neutralised, several suspects arrested, firearms and ammunition recovered, while 17 stolen motorcycles were recovered during separate operations targeting criminal networks.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Hayatullah Shaffa, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing journalists on the command’s recent achievements in tackling violent crimes and other criminal activities.

Shaffa said the latest operation against banditry followed information received on August 15 about an attempted attack on Ndankaradu village.

He said operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit, Voluntary Vigilante Group Rescue and other tactical teams were immediately deployed to the area.

According to him, the operatives engaged the attackers in a gun battle, forcing the suspected bandits to flee into a nearby forest with gunshot wounds.

“The gallant operatives engaged the hoodlums in a fierce gun duel which lasted for a considerable period. Overwhelmed by the superior firepower and tactical manoeuvring of the joint team, the bandits fled into the nearby forest with gunshot wounds,” he said.

A subsequent search of the area led to the recovery of two AK-47 rifles, two magazines and 54 rounds of ammunition.

The police commissioner also announced the arrest of three suspected members of a motorcycle theft syndicate following credible intelligence.

The suspects were identified as Siba Abdullahi of Nimbisu village, Hassan Hassan of Tamaji and Osman Ishan of Ngorobu area, all in Sokoto State.

Five stolen motorcycles and a fabricated pistol were recovered from their premises, while investigations continue to identify and arrest other members of the syndicate.

In another operation, the command arrested two suspects, identified as Hamza and Yasser, following complaints from community leaders in Manababa, Mabira and Ngorongu over motorcycle theft, extortion and illicit drug activities.

Shaffa said investigations revealed that the suspects allegedly worked with other individuals who are currently at large to steal motorcycles and sell them to buyers.

Further investigation also uncovered an alleged network involved in forging documents for stolen motorcycles, with some buyers of the stolen property subsequently arrested.

“Further investigation revealed that some suspects were responsible for forging documents of the stolen motorcycles, while buyers of the stolen motorcycles have also been arrested,” the commissioner said.

He added that 12 stolen motorcycles had so far been recovered in connection with the syndicate, while efforts were ongoing to apprehend fleeing suspects.

The command also arrested a suspected bandit, Abdullah Habuba, alias Osho, during an operation in Tudun Diki village.

Shaffa said Habuba was arrested on August 8 following credible intelligence and allegedly confessed to being a key member of a kidnapping syndicate operating in Gwadabawa, Bodinga and other parts of the state.

“Habuba is currently providing actionable intelligence to assist the police in tracking and arresting other members of the syndicate,” he said.

Meanwhile, the command recorded another breakthrough after rescuing a 10-year-old boy, Mohammed Sofianu, who was reportedly abducted in Gidambadi, Tangaza Local Government Area.

According to the CP, the child was allegedly lured into a room, injected with a sedative and forced into a sack.

The boy was rescued and taken to a hospital, where he received treatment and was later discharged. One suspect has been arrested in connection with the case and is assisting investigators.

Shaffa said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other suspects allegedly connected to the abduction.

He commended officers and personnel of the Strike Force, Anti-Kidnapping Unit and other tactical teams for their courage and swift response to criminal activities.

The commissioner assured residents that the command would sustain its operations against banditry, kidnapping, motorcycle theft and other forms of criminality.

“The command will not rest until all the fleeing suspects are apprehended and prosecuted,” he said.

Shaffa warned criminals operating in the state that they would be relentlessly pursued and brought to justice, while urging residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to the police.

He also cautioned members of the public against purchasing stolen motorcycles, stressing that buyers of stolen property would be prosecuted.

The commissioner further urged parents and guardians to discourage their children and wards from engaging in criminal activities, assuring residents of the command’s continued commitment to protecting lives and property across Sokoto State.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %