AFCON CONTROVERSY: MOROCCO’S REGRAGUI BRANDS SENEGAL PENALTY DRAMA ‘EMBARRASSING’

By: Fasasi Hammad
Morocco head coach Walid Regragui has launched a scathing attack on Senegal and their coach, Pape Thiaw, describing their behaviour during the closing moments of Sunday’s Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final as “shameful” and unworthy of African football.
Regragui’s comments came after a dramatic and controversial finale to the match, which Senegal went on to win after extra time, following a disputed late penalty awarded to Morocco.
With the final still goalless deep into stoppage time, referee Jean-Jacques Ndala pointed to the spot after a VAR review judged Senegal defender El Hadji Malick Diouf to have fouled Brahim Diaz. The decision sparked angry protests from Senegal, with several players leaving the pitch after Thiaw led them away in protest.
The incident caused a delay of nearly 20 minutes before play resumed. When the penalty was eventually taken, Diaz’s attempted chip was comfortably saved, sending the match into extra time.
Senegal later secured victory through a spectacular strike from Pape Gueye, clinching their second AFCON title.
Speaking after the match, Regragui criticised Senegal’s conduct, saying it reflected poorly on the continent.
“The image we showed of Africa was shameful. A coach asking his players to leave the pitch… what Pape did does not honour Africa,” he said.
“He had already started in the press conference. It wasn’t classy. But he is a champion, so he can say whatever he wants.”
The Moroccan coach acknowledged that the lengthy interruption affected his players, particularly Diaz, but stopped short of using it as an excuse for the missed penalty.
“We stopped the match in front of the whole world for 10 minutes. That didn’t help Brahim,” Regragui admitted. “But it doesn’t excuse the way he took the penalty. We were one minute away from being African champions. Football can be cruel.”
READ MORE…
FCTA BEGINS STREET DECONGESTION, EVACUATES 607 BEGGARS IN ABUJA
Senegal’s match-winner, Pape Gueye, later defended his team’s actions, insisting their reaction was driven by frustration over what they perceived as an unfair decision.
“We felt there was an injustice. There was a foul for us that the referee didn’t review,” Gueye said.
“We were frustrated, but Sadio Mané told us to return and refocus. In the end, we gave everything.”
Despite Morocco extending their impressive unbeaten run to 26 matches under Regragui, the coach faced criticism following the defeat, with some commentators calling for his resignation. Regragui dismissed the calls, urging calm and patience.
“Winning the Africa Cup is not easy. We were very close and everyone is disappointed,” he said. “In football, you must accept what happens, stay humble and come back stronger.”
