OYO GOVT, NUT DISPEL RUMOURS OF TEACHER BEING BEATEN TO DEATH IN OGBOMOSO
The Oyo State Government and the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Oyo State chapter, have debunked viral reports claiming that a teacher in Ogbomoso, Mr. Adegoke Fatai Abiodun, was beaten to death by students of Soun High School.
In a joint clarification issued on Monday, the government and the teachers’ union described the report as false, misleading, and capable of inciting unnecessary tension in the education sector.
Speaking during a stakeholders’ meeting at the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology in Ibadan, the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Hon. Olusegun Olayiwola; Oyo NUT Chairman, Comrade Raji Oladimeji; and the Principal of Soun High School, Mr. Ajayi Adeyinka, explained that the deceased teacher died from complications arising from bone marrow cancer and not from any assault by students.
According to the Commissioner, investigations revealed that the incident in question occurred on May 28, 2025, when the late Mr. Adegoke caught four students gambling within the school premises. During an attempt to discipline one of them, he accidentally dislocated his arm.
Olayiwola said the teacher later sought treatment from a local bone therapist and a private hospital before being referred to a government hospital, where he was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer, which had already reached Stage 4.
He said, “We have investigated the matter and confirmed that the viral information is entirely false. The late Mr. Adegoke had been ill for some time, and his wife, who works with TESCOM, confirmed that he was never beaten by students. It is regrettable that false claims are being circulated about his death.”
The Commissioner warned members of the public and the media to desist from spreading unverified reports, noting that misinformation can cause needless panic and damage reputations. He added that all key education stakeholders — including TESCOM officials, NUT leaders, principals, and local education inspectors — participated in the investigation.
He further stated that a delegation led by the TESCOM Chairman would visit the deceased teacher’s family to condole with them.
The Principal of Soun High School, Mr. Adeyinka, also refuted the viral claim, stressing that the deceased was never assaulted by students.
“The story making the rounds is untrue,” he said. “The teacher dislocated his arm while trying to discipline a student who ducked. It was later discovered during medical treatment that he was suffering from brittle bones caused by bone marrow cancer. Sadly, he passed away on November 4, 2025.”
In his remarks, the Oyo State NUT Chairman, Comrade Oladimeji, condemned the fake report, saying it could discourage teachers who are committed to their duties. He explained that the union only got involved after learning about the teacher’s illness and had raised about N2 million to support his medical treatment.
“It is disheartening that some individuals are using this sad event to spread falsehood,” he said. “The incident was never a case of assault. We only stepped in to support our colleague’s treatment when we heard of his health condition.”
The Oyo State Government and the NUT commiserated with the deceased’s family and prayed for the repose of his soul. They also urged journalists and members of the public to verify information before sharing it, warning that spreading fake news could harm public confidence in institutions.
