POLICE ARREST THREE SUSPECTS IN ₦10M BLACKMAIL SCHEME IN LAGOS

By: Muftau Fatimo
Three individuals have been arrested by operatives of the Lagos Police Special Fraud Unit (PSFU) over an alleged cyber blackmail and extortion scheme, in which a victim was threatened with the release of her nude photographs unless she paid ₦10 million.
The suspects—two men and a woman—were apprehended following a petition by the victim, who reported receiving persistent threats and monetary demands from unknown persons, the PSFU spokesperson, DSP Ovie Ewhubare, said in a statement on Friday.
Ewhubare added that the victim had been repeatedly contacted by phone, with warnings that her private images would be publicly shared if she did not comply with the demands.
“The complainant, out of fear and emotional distress, transferred money to the suspects on several occasions,” he said.
READ MORE :
He added that the matter escalated when the suspects demanded an additional N10 million, prompting the victim to alert the police.
“Upon receipt of the petition, the Commissioner of Police, Special Fraud Unit, Mr Kayode Ojapinwa, ordered an immediate investigation into the allegations,” Ewhubare stated.
According to him, police investigations led to the arrest of the three suspects and uncovered how the scheme was carried out.
“Findings revealed that one of the suspects unlawfully accessed the complainant’s mobile phone and transferred her nude photographs to his own device,” he said.
He explained that the suspect allegedly conspired with the others, as well as additional accomplices who are currently on the run, to threaten the victim and collect money from her in multiple instalments.
The police spokesperson said the suspects remain in custody and would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate and to recover all proceeds of the crime,” Ewhubare added.
He stated that CP Ojapinwa reaffirmed the PSFU’s dedication to fighting cybercrime and protecting citizens from digital exploitation.
“The Commissioner of Police reiterates the Unit’s commitment to combating cyber-enabled offences and ensuring public safety,” Ewhubare said.
“He also urged the public to protect their personal information, exercise caution when using digital devices, and report any form of harassment or cybercrime to the police without delay,” Ewhubare added.
More Stories
ACTRESS BASIRA BEERE OPENS UP ON ALLEGED SPOUSAL ABUSE, SAYS SHE LOST FOUR PREGNANCIES IN FAILED MARRIAGE
By: Muftau Fatimo Popular Yoruba actress, Omoshalewa Yusuf, widely known as Basira Beere, has opened up about the collapse of...
“I REGRET SPENDING MY BBNAIJA PRIZE MONEY ON FAMILY MEMBERS” – PHYNA
By: Muftau Fatimo Big Brother Naija Season 7 winner, Josephina Otabor, popularly known as Phyna, has revealed that her greatest...
NDLEA NABS 38 SUSPECTS IN KANO DRUG CRACKDOWN AHEAD OF EID AL-KABIR
By: Muftau Fatimo The Kano Strategic Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has apprehended 38 suspects during...
PRESIDENT BOLA TINUBU SECURES 207,579 VOTES TO WIN APC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY IN EBONYI
By: Muftau Fatimo President Bola Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives...
ALLEGED DEFAMATION: EL-RUFAI’S WIFE SLAMS N2BN LAWSUIT AGAINST ICPC
By: Muftau Fatimo Aichatou El-Rufai, wife of former Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, has served a pre-action notice on the Chairman of...
“SLEEPING WITH ANOTHER MAN’S WIFE COMES WITH CONSEQUENCES” – SHAN GEORGE REACTS TO CHIKE, EDOHO SAGA
By: Muftau Fatimo Popular Nigerian actress, Shan George has stated that engaging in sexual relations with a married woman comes...
