EMEFIELE’S ALLEGED $4.5BN FRAUD: OMOILE ADMITS LYING IN EFCC STATEMENT

Read Time:2 Minute, 17 Second

By Aishat Momoh. O.

Henry Omoile, who is standing trial alongside former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, over an alleged $4.5 billion fraud, on Friday told the court that he lied in the statement he made to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Omoile made the disclosure while testifying during a trial-within-trial before Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Lagos State Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos.

The trial-within-trial was instituted to determine the voluntariness of the statement he made to EFCC investigators.

According to Omoile, the statements marked as Exhibits TWT 1–4 did not contain a genuine confession, claiming that he merely wrote what investigators allegedly instructed him to write.

“The statement exhibits in trial-within-trial 1–4, I did not confess in that statement. I lied in my statement. EFCC threatened me that if I did not write what they wanted, they would charge me to court,” he told the court.

Emefiele is currently facing a 19-count charge filed by the EFCC bordering on receiving gratification and making corrupt demands during his tenure as CBN governor, while Omoile is facing a three-count charge bordering on unlawful acceptance of gifts as an agent. Both defendants have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

During cross-examination by the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, Omoile admitted that he was cautioned before making the statement and that he signed the cautionary words.

When asked whether the EFCC had filed a counter-affidavit to challenge the allegations he raised, Omoile responded in the affirmative but admitted that he did not present the document before the court.

He also told the court that he had discussed filing a fundamental human rights enforcement suit with his lawyer and confirmed that the motion ex parte had been tendered before the court earlier in the day.

Under further questioning, Omoile acknowledged that the ruling he tendered had no direct bearing on Exhibit D4, though he insisted that both matters were connected.

“I just wanted to go home,” he said while responding to questions regarding the circumstances surrounding the statement.

When asked by the prosecution whether he had filed any complaint or petition against the EFCC investigative team over the alleged threats, Omoile answered in the negative.

Earlier in the proceedings, the defendant alleged that EFCC investigators attempted to pressure him into implicating Emefiele.

According to him, the head of the investigative team, identified as Alvan, allegedly promised that he would be granted bail and might not be charged if he cooperated by providing incriminating evidence against the former CBN governor.

Justice Oshodi subsequently adjourned the matter until April 17, 2026, for the adoption of final written addresses.

 

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %