THREE ARRESTED AS DEATH OF JOS MODEL HOPEFUL IN MOB ATTACK TRIGGERS CALLS FOR JUSTICE

By:Tajudeen Aminat
The death of 25-year-old Ibrahim Pilasar Mbaya, popularly known as “Ibee,” has sparked widespread outrage across Nigeria after he allegedly died following a mob assault over accusations of stealing an iPhone 12 in Jos, Plateau State.
The Plateau State Police Command said Mbaya was rushed to the Jos University Teaching Hospital on July 26 by a group of youths after he was found unconscious. Medical personnel later confirmed him dead on arrival.
Police spokespersons disclosed on Monday that three suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident, while efforts are underway to apprehend other individuals believed to have participated in the attack.
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) condemned the killing, describing it as tragic and calling for a thorough investigation to ensure justice is served.
Beyond the circumstances surrounding his death, Mbaya was widely known as a promising young creative with ambitions in modelling and fashion.
Known to friends and followers as “Ibee,” he described himself as both a baker and a model, combining entrepreneurship with a passion for the fashion industry.


Shortly before his death, Mbaya had been named among the Top 30 finalists of the Mr & Miss Glam Nigeria pageant, a youth-focused competition that celebrates fashion, culture, leadership and career development. Just two days before news of his death emerged, the organisers shared a video of him participating in one of the competition’s runway challenges.
His final Instagram post, published on July 24, featured photographs of himself with the caption: “A little sunshine, a little silence, a lot of peace,” alongside hashtags promoting the pageant.
According to information on his social media pages, Mbaya was due to celebrate his birthday on September 18.
His death has since ignited widespread condemnation on social media, with many Nigerians denouncing mob justice and demanding that those responsible be prosecuted.
Several users questioned why the matter was not handed over to law enforcement authorities, while others stressed that even if theft had occurred, no one had the right to take the law into their own hands.
The Plateau State Police Command said the three arrested suspects have been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) as investigations continue and efforts intensify to arrest other suspects linked to the incident.
More Stories
OSUN ELECTION: ADC SAYS IT COLLABORATED WITH ACCORD TO BLOCK APC VICTORY
By:Tajudeen Aminat The African Democratic Congress, ADC, has explained its poor showing in the recently concluded Osun State governorship election,...
ALIA SUBMITS SIX COMMISSIONER NOMINEES TO BENUE ASSEMBLY
By:Tajudeen Aminat Benue State Governor, Hyacinth Alia, has forwarded the names of six commissioner nominees to the State House of...
ANGÉLIQUE KIDJO SET TO MAKE HISTORY AS FIRST AFRICAN MUSICIAN TO RECEIVE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME STAR
By:Tajudeen Aminat Five-time Grammy Award winner Angélique Kidjo is set to make history on Tuesday as the first African musician...
OSUN POLICE CAUTIONS AGAINST ILLEGAL TAKEOVER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS
By:Tajudeen Aminat The Osun State Police Command has warned individuals and groups against any attempt to forcibly take control of...
OYETOLA ANNOUNCES US REMOVAL OF 12-YEAR ENTRY RESTRICTION ON NIGERIAN VESSELS
By:Tajudeen Aminat Nigeria’s maritime sector has recorded a major breakthrough following the decision by the United States Coast Guard (USCG)...
WIKE INSPECTS FLOOD-HIT FCT COMMUNITIES, DISCOVERS ILLEGAL BUILDING ON REVOKED WATERWAY
By:Tajudeen Aminat FCT Minister Nyesom Wike on Tuesday inspected areas affected by the weekend flooding in Maitama, Abuja, where he...
