ADELEKE’S CONVOY ATTACKED AFTER VISIT TO ATAOJA’S PALACE
By Aishat Momoh. O.

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.
The incident, which lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes, caused panic among residents and traders around the palace and adjoining areas of Osogbo.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, during which Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler.
The eyewitness said trouble started shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers.
According to her, Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when heavy gunshots were heard.
She said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo and opened fire.
The eyewitness said the governor’s security personnel responded, resulting in an exchange of gunfire that lasted several minutes before the attackers fled the area.
A trader near the palace, identified as Munirat, said the assailants might have been aware of the governor’s visit and had waited for his arrival.
She alleged that the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the entrance before security personnel pushed them back.
The trader added that the hoodlums later engaged the governor’s security team near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The shooting reportedly forced traders and residents in the area to abandon their businesses and seek safety.
Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
As of 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly closed their shops amid fears of further violence.
The circumstances surrounding the attack and the identities of those responsible were not immediately known.
