KWARA GOVT REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO RESCUE ABDUCTED VICTIMS AS FEAR SPREADS IN OYUN LGA

Read Time:2 Minute, 36 Second

By Aishat Momoh. O.

The Kwara State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to securing the safe return of victims abducted during last week’s attack on Woro community, following the circulation of a disturbing video allegedly released by Boko Haram terrorists.

An investigation by Sunday Vanguard identified the wife of Alhaji Umar Bio Salihu, the village head of Woro, among those seen in the footage. She appeared holding a baby while armed men interrogated visibly distressed victims in Hausa. The captives, looking emaciated and unkempt, narrated their ordeal on camera.

In the video, the terrorists claimed they were holding 176 persons, disputing earlier reports that about 30 individuals were abducted.

Reacting in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mrs. Bolanle Olukoju, the state government said it was analysing the footage to verify the identities of those shown.

“The Kwara State Government is deeply concerned over the disturbing video released by terrorists… Our priority remains the safe rescue of every affected citizen and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice,” the statement read.

The government added that it had engaged community leaders in Woro to help identify victims and clarified that varying figures had emerged regarding the number of abductees. It also noted that some individuals initially reported missing had since reunited with their families, while others may have temporarily relocated to neighbouring communities, including Wawa and New Bussa in Niger State.

The state’s response committee, led by His Highness Ahmed Ibn Muhammed, is working with security agencies and community stakeholders to coordinate rescue efforts and humanitarian support.

Meanwhile, residents of Ira, Inaja, and Aho communities in Oyun Local Government Area have begun fleeing following the circulation of a threatening letter warning of an imminent attack.

The letter, purportedly from a group calling itself the “Nigeria Terrorist Association (NTA),” was reportedly dropped at Ira market on Thursday by two men on a motorcycle. Written in poor grammar, it threatened violence against the communities and referenced recent attacks in Kaiama.

A traditional chief in Ira said the letter was taken to the palace after it was discovered at a motorcycle park near the central mosque. Security agencies, including the DSS, police, military, and NSCDC, have since intensified patrols in the affected areas.

The Oninaja of Inaja, Oba Wahab Oyetoro, confirmed heightened tension, saying some residents had relocated to Offa and other neighbouring towns out of fear.

National Secretary of Ira Descendants Union, Yekini Olarewaju, described the situation as tense, noting that schools remained closed and farming activities were disrupted as residents avoided going into surrounding bushes.

The Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, Ejire Adetoun-Adeyemi, confirmed receipt of the letter, stating that the intelligence unit was investigating its authenticity and source. Commissioner of Police Adekimi Ojo assured residents of the command’s commitment to protecting lives and property.

In response to the development, Oyun LGA Chairman Akanbi Olarewaju convened an emergency security meeting with traditional rulers and security stakeholders to address the situation proactively.

Authorities have urged residents to remain calm, avoid spreading unverified information, and cooperate with security agencies as investigations and patrols continue.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %