TINUBU’S AIDE BWALA SAYS INSECURITY IN NIGERIA IS NOT WORSENING

By: Fasasi Hammad
The Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Policy Communication, Daniel Bwala, has said that insecurity in Nigeria is not worsening, emphasizing that the Federal Government is actively working to contain the situation.
Bwala made the remarks on Head to Head, an Al Jazeera programme hosted by Mehdi Hasan at Conway Hall in London. The interview was shared on the show’s social media pages on Friday.
Addressing concerns about security challenges, Bwala acknowledged that Nigeria faces insecurity but noted that the country experienced relative calm during the first two years of the current administration.
“I acknowledge the fact that we have insecurity in Nigeria, and until the hoax narrative of the ‘Christian genocide,’ we began to see back-to-back attacks. For the first two years of this administration, we experienced substantial peace,” he said.
READ MORE…
PETROL HITS N1,080, MOTORISTS FACE LONG QUEUES AT IBADAN FUEL STATIONS
He added that no nation is entirely free from security threats. “There is no country in the world today that is completely free from insecurity. Even in London, there are areas you cannot visit at night,” Bwala noted.
On renewed terrorist attacks, he highlighted Nigeria’s collaboration with other countries to tackle insecurity. “That is why the President travelled to Turkey to reach a bilateral agreement on security. We are also cooperating with the United States and other nations. Since 9/11, terrorism has been a global issue, and every country is involved,” he said.
Bwala maintained that insecurity is not worsening. “I can’t say it is getting worse. As a government, we are working day and night to address the situation,” he insisted.
He also criticized Western media for negative portrayals of Nigeria and Africa, comparing perceptions to a glass of water: Western media sees it as half empty, while Nigerians see it as half full.
Highlighting government action against terrorism, Bwala said several Boko Haram and Lakurawa leaders had been arrested or eliminated prior to comments by former US President Donald Trump. He noted that the US State Department had acknowledged these efforts.
On kidnappings, he acknowledged the scale of the problem but emphasized government interventions, including the Safe Schools Initiative, which relocates students from insecure areas to safer locations.
Recent incidents, such as the abduction of over 100 women and children in Ngoshe, Borno State, underline ongoing security challenges, but the government maintains it is actively responding.
