UK ARRAIGNMENT OF FEMI OLALEYE VALIDATES EARLIER SEXUAL OFFENCE FINDINGS – ACTIVISTS

Activists involved in the arrest, prosecution, and 2023 conviction of Lagos-based medical doctor, Dr. Femi Olaleye, have hailed his recent arraignment in the United Kingdom, describing it as a strong validation of their long-standing position on the alleged sexual crimes linked to him.
Dr. Olaleye, 58, was arrested at Gatwick Airport on November 27, 2025, upon arrival in the UK and subsequently detained at Kent Police Station. He was arraigned on December 5 at the Medway Magistrates’ Court over allegations of sexual offences said to have occurred between January 2005 and September 2008 while he worked as an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at Darent Valley Hospital under the Dartford Gravesham NHS Trust. His bail application was denied, and he was ordered remanded until January 2, 2026.
In a joint statement issued Saturday, the Executive Director of the Centre Against Injustice and Domestic Violence (CAIDOV), Mr. Gbenga Soloki, and the Executive Director of Tonia Bruised But Not Broken Foundation, Mrs. Anthonia Ojenagbon, praised the UK authorities for what they described as a timely and decisive action.
They also commended Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Lagos Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court, who in October 2023 sentenced Olaleye to life imprisonment based on the testimony of the survivor and the prosecution led by the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions. The conviction was later overturned by the Court of Appeal on technical grounds.
“Justice Oshodi’s judgment was grounded in solid evidence and demonstrated judicial courage. With judges like him, the judiciary remains the last hope of the common man,” the statement read.
The activists said Olaleye’s arraignment in the UK reinforces their argument that he has “a case to answer,” calling it a vindication of the survivor and all who pushed for justice in the matter. They urged the Supreme Court to critically assess the Lagos State Government’s appeal against the Court of Appeal’s acquittal.
Dr. Olaleye had been accused in Nigeria of defiling his wife’s niece over an 18-month period in 2022. His 2023 conviction followed a year-long trial before Justice Oshodi but was later quashed on appeal.
“The UK arraignment leaves no doubt that justice must run its full course,” the activists said.
