UK DOCTOR CHARGED WITH SEXUALLY ASSAULTING 38 PATIENTS IN WEST MIDLANDS HOSPITALS
By Aishat Momoh. O.

A 38-year-old doctor, Nathaniel John Spencer of Quinton, Birmingham, has been charged with multiple sexual offences involving 38 patients at two major hospitals in the West Midlands, according to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and Staffordshire Police.
In a statement published on the Staffordshire Police website on Friday and retrieved by on Saturday, authorities confirmed that Spencer faces a total of 45 serious charges. These include: 15 counts of sexual assault, 17 counts of assault by penetration, 9 counts of sexual assault of a child under 13, 3 counts of assault on a child under 13 by penetration, 1 count of attempted assault by penetration.
The alleged offences reportedly took place between 2017 and 2021 at Royal Stoke University Hospital in Stoke-on-Trent and Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley.
Spencer is scheduled to appear at the North Staffordshire Justice Centre on January 20, 2026.
The CPS described the decision to prosecute as the result of a “detailed and complex investigation” carried out by Staffordshire Police’s Public Protection Unit. When asked by the BBC whether multiple children were involved, both the CPS and police said they could not release further details due to the ongoing nature of the case.
Spencer has been suspended from medical practice in the UK pending the outcome of criminal proceedings. He previously worked as a resident (junior) doctor at the University Hospitals of North Midlands (UHNM) NHS Trust from August 2017 to August 2020 and later at The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust from August 2020 to April 2021.
Both NHS trusts have set up dedicated helplines for individuals concerned about the care they received during the period in question.
Dr. Paul Hudson, operational medical director at the Dudley Group, described the development as “very distressing” for patients, staff, and the wider community. The trust said it has been cooperating fully with police investigators.
UHNM added that patient safety remains its “highest priority” but declined to comment further due to the ongoing criminal process.
The General Medical Council (GMC) confirmed that Spencer remains suspended while it conducts a parallel investigation into his fitness to practise, which will resume after criminal proceedings conclude.
