NIGERIA WILL NOT YIELD TO TERROR – TINUBU RESPONDS TO MAIDUGURI ATTACK

By: Balogun Ibrahim
President Bola Tinubu has expressed condolences to the people of Borno State following the recent terrorist attacks in Maiduguri, describing the incidents as desperate attempts by insurgents to spread fear.
In a statement posted on X on Tuesday, Tinubu mourned the loss of lives, extended sympathy to the injured and affected families, and reassured residents of the Federal Government’s commitment to restoring security.
“The recent news from Maiduguri, Borno State, is profoundly upsetting. I mourn those who lost their lives, sympathize with the injured, and stand in solidarity with the people of Borno during this challenging time,” he said.
Tinubu added that the attacks indicate the increasing pressure being exerted on terrorist groups by Nigerian security forces.
“I want to make it absolutely clear that these acts of terror represent the final, desperate attempts by criminals and terrorist groups to spread fear, as they face constant pressure from our courageous armed forces and security agencies,” he stated.
The President reiterated his administration’s commitment to ramping up operations against insurgents nationwide.
“We will continue to strengthen our efforts against all criminal elements, wherever they are,” he added.
President Bola Tinubu also praised security operatives for successfully repelling coordinated attacks on military positions in Borno State, describing their response as courageous.
“I commend the bravery and fighting spirit of our patriotic troops who successfully thwarted the coordinated attacks by these terrorists on military positions in the state,” he said.
He characterized the attacks as “desperate acts by evil-minded terrorist groups” and assured that security forces would “contain and neutralize them.”
The President revealed that additional support has been approved to bolster ongoing operations.
“During a security meeting with leaders of our security and intelligence agencies last weekend, I approved extra equipment and operational support to strengthen their capabilities. Implementation is already underway,” he stated.
Tinubu added that he had instructed security chiefs to relocate to Maiduguri to oversee operations, while emergency agencies have been mobilized to assist victims.
“I have instructed security chiefs to relocate to Maiduguri to take command of the situation, and I have directed emergency agencies to ensure proper care for the injured,” he said.
President Bola Tinubu emphasized that terrorists would find no safe haven anywhere in the country.
“There is no place in Nigeria where terrorists will be safe. We will track them down, confront them, and defeat them completely. Nigeria will not succumb to fear,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has issued a warning over the potential deployment of multiple suicide bombers in Maiduguri by suspected Boko Haram militants, urging residents to avoid crowded areas.
The alert comes in the wake of Monday’s coordinated attacks, which reportedly claimed 23 lives and injured 108 others.
In a statement Tuesday, Lt. Col. Sanni Uba, Media Information Officer of the North-East Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, said the bombings targeted densely populated areas in an attempt to inflict mass casualties and create panic.
He identified the affected locations as the Post Office vicinity, the Monday Market axis, and the entrance to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.
The Media had earlier reported that suspected suicide bombers attacked the same sites in Maiduguri on Monday evening.
The Borno State Police Command also confirmed the attacks, stating that investigations are ongoing to determine the full circumstances.
In a statement, Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Kenneth Daso, said security operatives quickly secured the affected areas.
“The scenes were immediately secured, cordoned off, and subjected to thorough sweep operations by the Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit Base 13 Maiduguri to ensure no additional threats remained,” he said.
Authorities continue to urge residents to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities as efforts to prevent further attacks intensify.
