SECURITY TIGHTENED IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK AFTER TWO TOURISTS FOUND DEAD; SANPARKS BOOSTS SURVEILLANCE MEASURES

Read Time:57 Second

By: Muftau Fatimo

Security has been heightened in South Africa’s Kruger National Park after two tourists were found dead in the reserve, authorities said on Sunday.

The victims, both South Africans, included a 71-year-old man and a woman whose age was not disclosed. They failed to return to their lodge on Wednesday evening, prompting a search operation.

Their bodies were later discovered on Friday afternoon in a river by other tourists. Police said the man had stab wounds, while the woman showed signs of bruising. Their vehicle was also reported missing.

South African National Parks (SANParks) said it was deploying additional monitoring and ranger resources to areas of concern in response to the incident.

It added that it was “enhancing technology systems to strengthen surveillance and early warning capabilities”.

It said it was the first time in the park’s 100-year history that visitors had been killed there.

Kruger Park, in the north-east of the country, is South Africa’s biggest national park, covering 20,000 square kilometres (7,700 square miles). It shares more than 370 kilometres of border with Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

 

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %