TROOPS RESCUE 92 ABDUCTED CIVILIANS, RECOVER VEHICLES IN BORNO
By Aishat Momoh. O.

Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, have rescued 92 civilians abducted by Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists along the Buratai–Kamuya road in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State.
The rescue operation, conducted on Saturday, also led to the recovery of eight vehicles and the successful detonation of three improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted by the fleeing insurgents.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by the Media Information Officer of Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba.
According to the military, troops of the 135 Special Forces Battalion deployed at Dutse Kura detected suspicious movements by the terrorists at about 11:22 a.m. while they were reportedly forcing civilians and vehicles off the highway into nearby bush paths.
Following the discovery, the battalion immediately deployed its Quick Reaction Force, while reinforcement troops from the 27 Task Force Brigade Garrison were mobilised to support the rescue mission.
The troops subsequently pursued the insurgents towards the Mangari-Dora axis, engaged them in combat and forced them to abandon the abducted victims before fleeing the area.
“All 92 kidnapped victims, comprising 52 males, 33 females and seven children, along with eight vehicles, were successfully recovered,” the statement said.
The military further disclosed that the fleeing insurgents attempted to delay the advancing troops by planting three IEDs along the Bula Zarma-Mangari route in what was described as an ambush attempt.
However, the devices were detected and detonated by the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team, enabling troops to continue the pursuit beyond the Mangari area.
“The unit’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team responded with precision and successfully detonated all three devices, clearing the route and enabling troops to press the pursuit approximately five kilometres beyond the Mangari general area,” the statement added.
Operation HADIN KAI said follow-up search operations were carried out across the area, but the terrorists had already dispersed after abandoning the captives, vehicles and their mission.
The military also confirmed that no casualties or equipment losses were recorded during the operation.
“OPHK troops sustained zero personnel or equipment casualties throughout the operation,” the statement noted.
The rescued civilians were later provided with immediate welfare support and escorted safely to Damaturu to continue their journey.
The military described the operation as a demonstration of the “operational reach, surveillance capability and combat readiness” of Operation HADIN KAI, warning that attempts by terrorists to abduct or attack civilians in the North-East would continue to be met with swift military action.
